Basements in most houses are usually wet, damp, and dark. But keeping an eye on the level of moisture is very important. If much moisture is absorbed through the walls, it can lead to the growth of mildews, mold, and other insects. The condition will further worsen if it may lead to decay, paint failure, rot, internal damage, etc. Your family might also have to face a lot of health issues too.
What are the major causes of moisture in the basement?
Slight dampness is expected to be present in every basement. Still, the problem gets bigger when you start noticing signs such as damp rings on the basement wall, water dripping from walls, condensation on walls, the smell of mildew, heavy air, humidity, wet floors, damage to carpet, and floorboards, etc. All these signs are a clear warning that you are in need to hire professional Toronto waterproofers immediately.
There can be multiple reasons for moisture in your basement. Water leakage is one of the biggest causes of your basement dampness. You must check every appliance that uses water regularly, like a sink, shower, dishwasher, broken pipes, etc. Another reason for the moisture is the grading done around your building. If the grading is not sloped outwards, away from the property, then the snow, sleet, rain, etc., will slide and accumulate near your home and eventually seep into your basement.
Other than this, if there is a leakage in the gutters used to direct the rainwater away from your home, then the water can easily drip down and collect near the foundation of the building, slowly seeping inside. Also, sometimes these gutters get clogged with dirt and leave, leading to a collection of water and eventually letting the moisture enter the foundation of your house. These are some of the most common reasons that can help in the growth of moisture in your basement.
How to fix it?
Here are some tips to prevent and fix moisture in your basement –
- Check for faulty appliances from time to time. Remember to change a broken or old pipe before the problem gets too big.
- It is important to hire an architect to design your slopes. This is a very important precautionary measure that ensures that a situation like basement moisture can never come.
- You can also plan to dig up a trench near your home so the rainwater can get collected.
- A line of rocks can be built around the perimeter of your building to act as an obstruction against the unwanted water. It works as an aesthetic and a functional feature for your home.
- You must install downspouts, too, as they can help keep the water up to four feet away from your home.
- Repair all the cracks that you can see. You just need patching cement, mallet, and chisel, and it’s done!
Thus, the moisture problem in the basement is very big and serious, and these tips can certainly help you in dealing with such a problem. You should start trying each one of them from today only!